You must be aware that pool is a shooting game which requires extraordinarily level of mental skills. After you master its physical aspects like stance, grip, bridging, stroking, etc., billiards pool game eventually turns into a mental game. With thorough practice, your mind starts acting like a mental computer’s database for shots, to be used at the accurate moment during a match.
A meditation regime can be helpful for enhancing your pool skills and effectively training your mind to improve your focus on your task at hand, which involves guiding the cue ball precisely to its coveted point and pocketing the target ball.
Pre-shot Pool Routine
Practice is merely the first level of preparation for billiards pool game. The second level is the pre-shot routine which prepares you mentally to focus on the game and enables your mind to pull up the correct shot to attain the desired outcomes, during a match. For every shot you are required to:
- Observe and analyze the layout of the balls to ascertain what possibilities and problems the pattern renders you.
- Prioritize the strategy that is called for.
- Confirm your chances of success after selecting the shot.
- Commit to play to the best of your ability.
- Calculate the anticipated outcome of your actions against your shots.
- Envision yourself hitting the shot successfully to reinforce your confidence level and ultimately your chances of winning.
Benefits of Meditation in Enhancing Billiards Pool Games
You can lose your focus due to a lapse in concentration in the match which can be disastrous. Meditation gives you an edge in the game so that you are able to pull the appropriate shot out of your memory bank by relying on your mind to perform its job precisely.
Here are a few grounds to justify why meditation should be considered an essential part of a billiards pool game preparation, just like any other sports:
- Meditation has been proven to enhance focus levels within your brain, which is the key to determining whether you win or lose a pool match.
- Meditation helps you to endure pain which is very crucial for any sports person and thus improves your performance in the game.
- Meditation helps you to deal with pain by inducing calmness in the fear center of your brain (called amygdala), and increases your chance of winning the game.
- Meditation improves and strengthens your immune system because you cannot afford to fall sick before a match.
- Meditation helps you to minimize the onset of worrying thoughts from creeping into your mind unnecessarily and significantly aids you in restoring your mental focus to the present.
- Meditation provides you with the adequate adaptability which helps you detach from the negative thoughts that prevents you from reaching your goals.
- Meditation minimizes stress levels. Including some amount of meditation could help you before the game.
- Meditation greatly helps you to take charge of your emotions and makes you alert. A study also revealed that individuals with a high level of alertness are better at stabilizing and controlling their emotions.
- Meditation boosts healthy sleeping habits because quality sleep is among the most valuable things you can have as a player for winning any match.
- Meditation can be crucial in helping you to recognize your weak spots. Thus, you can improve your weaknesses by working on it.
Meditation can be instrumental in imparting the required edge to you for going that extra mile in order to improve your billiards pool game!